The Doctor is In!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

People can write in and ask me any question they want and I'll respond to them.

2 posters

The Dumbing Down of Christians

gazzaj

The Dumbing Down of Christians Empty The Dumbing Down of Christians

Post  gazzaj Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:47 pm

Since hearing a lecture by Gail Riplinger about New Age Bible versions I've taken it upon myself to have a look at different translations of the Bible. Let me state from the start I'm not a King James Only Advocate. I like to read all different versions.

Now here's a real treat: The New American Bible translates the verse of all verses thus:

John: 3:16
    For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life.
    (Bold mine).

Now what were the scholars thinking of might indeed! What's that mean just maybe, could, can't be for certain, don't bet on it!

Here's another classic:

The Common English Bible:

John 3:13
    No one has gone up to heaven except the one who came down from heaven, the Human One.

The human one, you've got to be joking. Talk about obscure terminology. The Scholars who put this verse together must have been thinking come on you guys, we've got to come up with something different. We've been stewing on how to re-word this phrase for weeks. Hey! what about the Human One?
    In the time of Jesus:
    "Hey Pal, whose that guy?"
    "I don't know really, he calls himself the Human One!"

Yet another new edition of the old standby the NIV which is bound to be a big hit for all Bible Readers:

NIV 2011

Matt 23:8-10
    “But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah.

When I was a kid I had a swimming instructor and that's the only time I've ever had an instructor. Doesn't that word remind you of Coach, like Baseball Coach etc.

"Today, we're proud to have with us this Sunday Service a great Instructor to bring us a Word from the Lord."

I call "The Message" the Babble-On Version:

Matt 23:8-10
    Don't let people do that to you, put you on a pedestal like that. You all have a single Teacher, and you are all classmates. Don't set people up as experts over your life, letting them tell you what to do. Save that authority for God; let him tell you what to do. No one else should carry the title of 'Father'; you have only one Father, and he's in heaven. And don't let people maneuver you into taking charge of them. There is only one Life-Leader for you and them—Christ.

Very New Age terminology Life Leader what's next "Guru."

When I was at school I had classmates didn't mean we had anything in common though.

A Note:
    When I hear pastors say "oh, the original Greek meaning for that word "heegeebeegees" is "whatyamacallit" I think to myself, now why don't the translators just use the original Greek meaning?

Personally I think most of these new English Translations of the Holy Bible that adorn our Christian Bookshop shelves today are nothing more than Publishing Companies wanting our money.

There are so many new versions of the Bible available today it's ludicrous. Not to mention Study Bibles.

I'm really thinking of releasing a Construction Workers and Laborers New Testament.

God the Father will become the Big Boss.
    Our Lord Jesus will be known in many cases as the Foreman.
    Angels - "Company Reps"
    The Apostles and Disciples - Leading Hands.
    Mankind, Man, etc - Laborers
    Heaven: The Eternal Company Picnic.

The Devil, Satan - Union Boss.
    Demons - Union Delegates.
    Sinners: Picketers.
    Hell: - The Big Barbecue.

Sure to be yet another welcome addition to our new translations.

birks10

The Dumbing Down of Christians Empty Re: The Dumbing Down of Christians

Post  birks10 Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:23 am

Hello gazzaj...

Thanks for the info on Bible versions... Do you have a question? :>)

Dr. B...

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 pm