The Doctor is In!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

People can write in and ask me any question they want and I'll respond to them.

2 posters

Charismatic Sayings

cladius

Charismatic Sayings Empty Charismatic Sayings

Post  cladius Tue May 01, 2012 8:43 pm

Dr.Birks, any thoughts on the below quote from a well known pastor in California that a lot of young people follow?

"It's difficult to expect the same fruit of the early church when we value a book they didn't have, more than the Holy Spirit they did have." Bill Johnson. The pastor of Bethel church in California. It was quoted by a friend on his face book page that admires and follows Bill Johnson. I used to listen to him myself.

Thank You,

Clad Tokunboh
    birks10

Charismatic Sayings Empty Re: Charismatic Sayings

Post  birks10 Wed May 02, 2012 12:25 pm

I don't think i know Bill Johnson. However, the quote in it's immediate context, sounds like he's extolling the "greater" virtue of one possessing the Holy Spirit as a greater influence in pace of a trained exegetical study and trained abillity to arrive at truth through the scriptures. These types of sayings make those without training "feel better" about what they "don't have" and use it as an excuse to think that those without trained ability can interpret the scriptures "better" than those who do. This has always been around. The answer is not "The Holy Spirit" APART from training. But the Holy Spirit PLUS training. The Holy Spirit will never teach you how to read and work in the Greek NT for instance. And he is not a substitute for the biblical admonition (that He inspired),to "Study to show one's self approved to God...rightly dividing the word of truth."

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 pm