The Doctor is In!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

People can write in and ask me any question they want and I'll respond to them.

2 posters

Literal of symbolic nature of Genesis

timmytheimpaler

Literal of symbolic nature of Genesis Empty Literal of symbolic nature of Genesis

Post  timmytheimpaler Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:10 pm

Before I was a preterist, I didn't view much of scripture as symbolic. Even after becoming a preterist, it didn't occur to me to examine many other passages to see if they were literal or used language that could be symbolic. I'm in the middle of a discussion on Genesis, specifically the Garden of Eden account. The others in the discussion include a Roman Catholic, an agnostic who considers the Bible a collection of myths, an adherent of Herbert W. Armstrong (or who at least defends him), and another guy who's hard to pin down, but who insists it's all figurative or symbolic.

Well, it occurs to me that I've never re-examined the nature of the account since Sunday School. What is your opinion of this? Might the tree and the snake and the rest be figurative?
    birks10

Literal of symbolic nature of Genesis Empty Re: Literal of symbolic nature of Genesis

Post  birks10 Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:00 am

Hi timmy....

The problem with taking the Gen 1-3 narrative into account as simply symbolic, is that if we believe that, then we must believe that Jesus and Paul did not know what they were talking about, because both of them commented on these issues in those chapters as being a literal historical fact. See Mtt. 19 and 2 Cor. 11 for instance.

Dr. B...